The Gospel Project Unit 33.2 - A Transformed Mind
Family Resources for 1/16/22
1) Opening Activities
4) Discussion Video
- Mirror Emotions: Form partners with your family members, taking turns being the leader and the mirror. The leader makes faces to show different emotions, and the mirror should do her best to mimic the faces the leader makes. Say, "Great job being mirrors that reflected the emotions your partners showed. In our story today, we'll learn about the ways the Holy Spirit changes us to reflect Jesus. One part of the change causes Christians to be happy with those who are happy and sad with those who are sad. What do you think that means?"
- What makes you special?: Each person takes turns explaining something about themselves that is special. Give everyone a chance to demonstrate any special talents they have. Say, "We all have different skills and talents that make us unique and special. God gives us different talents and wants us to work together to use those talents for His glory. Today we'll learn about some special talents and abilities God gives Christians specifically through the Holy Spirit. What do you think they could be?"
- Read Romans 12:1-18, 1 Corinthians 1:9, and Philippians 1:3-7 together with your family and/or watch the Bible Story Video linked above. Bible story pictures and main idea are also posted in the gallery above.
- Story review questions:
- What kinds of books are Romans, 1 Corinthians, and Philippians? (letters to churches)
- Who wrote these books? (the apostle Paul)
- Who shows us the right way to live? (the Holy Spirit living in us, Rom. 12:2)
- How should we behave towards people who are happy? (We should be happy and celebrate with them, Rom 12:15)
- How should we behave towards those who are sad? (We should be sad with them and comfort them, Rom. 12:15-16)
- Who changes us? (The Holy Spirit changes us to be like Jesus for God's glory.)
4) Discussion Video
- Watch the Discussion Video linked above.
- Discuss with your kids whether the kid from the video has the ability to change his height. What are some other changes we have no control over? What are some changes we can control? What does it mean to grow as a Christian or to grow in our faith? Whose power do we need for that kind of growth?
- Take prayer & praise requests and spend time in prayer as a family.
- Give out paper and encourage your children to journal about today's lesson using the guiding questions. You could play a song in the background.
- What does this story teach me about God or about the gospel?
- What does this story teach me about myself?
- Whom can I tell about this story?
- Download pages linked above. It includes activities for upper & lower elementary AND preschool.
- Worship together using the links below or by singing some of your favorite worship songs.